Classic Carrot Cake
Serves 12, and can be frozen for up to three months
- Butter, for greasing
- 125g (4½ oz) self raising flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 125g (4½ oz) soft brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 100ml (3½ fl oz) sunflower oil
- 125gl (4½ oz) carrot, peeled and finely grated
- 25g (1 oz) desiccated coconut
- 25g (1 oz) walnuts, chopped
- Walnut pieces (for decoration)
- 50g (1¾ oz) butter, softened
- 50g (1¾ oz) soft cheese
- 225g (8 oz) icing sugar, sifted
- 1tsp lemon juice
Preheat the oven to 180C (350F). Lightly grease a 20cm (8in) square cake tin and line the base with baking paper.
Sift the flour, cinnamon and salt into a large bowl and stir in the brown sugar. Add the oil and eggs to the dry ingredients and mix well.
Stir in the coconut, chopped walnuts and grated carrot.
Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for 20-25 minutes, until just firm to the touch. Leave to cool in the tin.
To make the icing, add the butter, cream cheese, icing sugar and lemon juice to a bowl and beat until the mixture is fluffy and creamy.
Turn the cake out of the tin and cut into 12 slices. Decorate with icing and walnut pieces.